Here are our Frequently Asked Questions. If you still need assistance please feel free to contact us.
Does the library have Study Rooms?
The library has four study rooms available on a first-come, first-serve basis. At least one user per room must sign in at the Information Desk and provide either a valid Messenger Library Card or a valid Photo ID. This is held at the Information Desk while the room is in use. Study rooms are for individuals and groups of up to four people. Users under the age of 8 must have an adult with them. You are guaranteed two hours in a study room. Time may be extended if no one is waiting to use a room. On a first-in, first-out basis, the limit will be enforced at any time when others request use of the room and all rooms are occupied. The study rooms close 15 minutes prior to the library's closing time.The library has a limited number of meeting rooms for public use. Click here to check availability and reserve a meeting room.
Can I print at the library?
Yes! You can print and make copies at the library for $0.10 a page for black and white and $0.25 a page for color. Library staff can assist you if you need help using the printer/copier. You can also print wirelessly from your laptop or mobile device using the instructions found here, or by clicking the printer icon at the bottom of each page on our website.
How do I apply for a library card?
A resident of the Village of North Aurora can apply for a library card at the Messenger Public Library Circulation Desk. Adults must present a photo ID and current proof of residency (current utility bill, mortgage/lease documents) in the Village of North Aurora to obtain a library card. A parent or guardian (responsible party) must present proof of residency and sign the library card of an applicant under age 18. Click here for more library card registration information.
Am I able to send faxes at the library?
The Library has two self-service fax machines. One takes debit/credit cards while the other is cash only.
- Credit/Debit Card: The cost for the first page is $1.75 and each additional page is $1.00. Prepaid fax cards may also be purchased at the Circulation Desk of the Library.
- Cash: The cost per page is $1.00. You can choose to receive an email confirmation. If you chose to scan an item to email instead of faxing, there is no charge.
Due to privacy issues Library staff are unable to fax materials for patrons.
How do I check my library account online?
Go to our Online Catalog and type in your library barcode and your PIN (the last 4 numbers of your phone number) in the upper right corner of the page. Then, you can renew items, place items on hold, and check to see if you have fines.
How do I renew my library materials online?
To renew a library item:
- Log in to your user account.
- Click on Renew My Materials on the left side of the page. A list of items you currently have checked out will be displayed.
- Do one of these options:
- To renew all the items in the list, mark the Select All box.
- Mark the box next to the title(s) you want to renew.
- Click Renew Selected Items.
- The item will be renewed and a new due date for the item will appear to the right of the title.
- When you are finished, log out of your user account.
How long may I keep checked-out materials?
Take a look at our loan periods and overdue fines by clicking here.
If I don’t live in North Aurora, can I still check out materials?
Yes, although not all materials are available for loan to Reciprocal Borrowers. Please call the library to verify that the item you wish to borrow is available. You will need to bring your valid library card issued by your home library and a photo ID in order to be registered to check out materials.